Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My problem with American Girl


For Christmas my daughter wants to go shopping in the American Girl store in NYC. We passed by the shop walking back to the train station after seeing the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center.
I just finished visiting the website. Now, I've heard of the American Girl's franchise and even took my lil ones to the movies to see the American Girl's movie when it came out. But I've never really looked into introducing the craze to my daughter nor doing any research on it myself.
Back to the story, so I visited the website and find out that the dolls cost between 95 to 115 bucks. Wow! That's a bit steep but I just finished spending 80 bucks for 3 outfits and a bed at Build A Bear so who am I to talk.. lol.
Looking at the dolls, I personally think they are ugly as shit with the exception of about 2 dolls. Which leads me to my biggest problem. I collect and sell figures so I understand the cost of quality. But where is the quality if all the dolls are from the same mold? Which is the big reason why the "dark skinned" doll looks sooo stupid and the poor doll above looks crazy.
I'm definitely going to do more research on the history and legacy of the American Girl franchise but I don't like what I see so far.

No comments: