Friday, May 11, 2007

My Liberty has been taken.

Boy O Boy. I think Liberty is the first figure that has put this much attention on me as a toy dealer since I've started doing this. When people say limited... only 300 made.... I have never been one of the "lucky" ones that had the pleasure of selling the limited of this limited genre of collectibles that we are all involved with. Shit... I'm thinking about the hellish bliss that Erick Scarecrow has to be going under right now for all the success that this Lady Liberty has been giving him lately.

When I first saw this figure I was happy because the Urban part of Urban Vinyl/ Designer Toys that my clients love haven't really been represented in a while and this beauty was a breath of fresh air. I have had to go looking long and hard for something like this. U.V./D.T. world hasn't ever had this much excitement for a figure as far as I can remember. The little previews of hitting us with little different angle shots all being released in do time. I should have known that this would be crazy at the NYC Comic Con. They sold out in minutes and those lucky suckers got a chance to get it signed too.

At first I was hoping that they just didn't get my whole order but I knew better then that. I was typing every word with my fingers crossed (let me tell you that that's not an easy task) hoping that not only do they have the pieces that they didn't send me but an extra 7 laying around waiting for me..lol. When I got an email back and I got the bad news that there wasn't any more I was a little upset but with a little relief knowing that the biggest seller had the same problem I do. With every passing minute I received another email, text message on my phone or a message on my myspace page with someone new wanting a Liberty figure.

What's this all mean? I looked at her today and wondered why? I never really peeped the figure out really. Yeah I looked at it but like I looked at Da Juniors when they came to my house or the Fatima's or the Sneaker Box heads. But I pulled my head back and really looked at it. This is a take on one of the biggest symbols of liberty in the world. Graph is one of the many American born art forms and it's the biggest expression of Liberty we can possibly show the world. I'm probably thinking wayyy tooo much into it but look at it like that. From the land of the free where although we are known as criminals for doing graph comes one of the art forms that defies all odds of keeping a culture bottled up. --End of rant... sorry

Erick Scarecrow keep making hits and I'll keep selling them.

No comments: