Saturday, April 19, 2008

Comic Con Day 1

What a day what a day. I'm writing this on saturday morning right before I get ready for day 2.

Well, I had problems with the tickets and was stressed until I got there. They helped me out with no worries :O). I was two hours early because I didn't bother getting a RETAIL badge and just got two general weekend passes. Lucky for me my credit card problems werent over and I was on the phone for about an hour and a half :O).

On the way to the comic con you have to walk about 4 or 5 new york blocks (which equal about 8 to 10 blocks in my town) from the PATH subway train station. You go from new yorkers shopping, tourist shopping and then you see business people on their lunch or smoke breaks. And as I walked I just looked around to see who might be going to the comic con. You can pick them out by a couple of clues- A comic book, anime or sci- fi related tee shirt is usually the best but when it comes to the comic con you know your going to see a bunch of people go overboard by wearing a costume like its halloween...lol.

I'm one block away from the comic con and I see this couple wearing Tokidoki from head to toe. The newest crowd you can add to the geeks in nyc are the kidrobot, a bathing ape and billionaire boys club wearing hipsters. I guess you can see me as a conformed typical geek to a "hipster" (although it's not very hip to call yourself one) but these two were totally Tokidoki'ed out. I figured TD have been doing a lot of work wih different people it was bound to happen that there would be people obsessed with it like hello kitty and kidrobot.

Anywho, security formed this huge line that was for the general public while they wait until 3. I didn't get in the line because I was waiting for my boy to show up for he could use the extra ticket I had. I was just taking a personal survey of the types of people there. I always was bugged out about how many "normal" people are into toys or comics that you would never know about. Of course you saw plenty of customs there, mostly Naurto kids. I must admit the security there was great and very organized..lol. I know "why would you care?" but after all the years in the security business I tend to notice most events are bad when it comes to having some type of order.

My boy never showed so I walked in and the first you see is the Gentle Giant booth. WOW! I never really cared because they sell mostly statues and as nice as they are it just makes me realize that I dont have any room for them..lol.

Everybody has their own strategy when it comes to things like this but I start from the beginning and just go from aisle to aisle becuase if you just run to the booths you want to see you just might miss some new cool stuff you've never seen and have find out about it on somebodies blog..lol.

I'll wrap this up because it's getting close to the time I have to leave. I loved the ESC-Toy booth. Remember the two people that wearing all the Tokidoki? Well they were sitting behind either the Toyqube or ToyToyko booths (they were right next to each other)signing Tokidoki products.. I guess they were somebody lol. That was the most crowded aisle at the convention from what I saw. Mezco and Neca were cool. But the most suprising booth was Kaching Brands booth. WOW! they have some gems this year. I'm starting to feel good about the future of designer toys! cool.

With all my money problems I was having that day I was refusing to buy anything but after seeing the Biggie exclusives for the NYCC go from a bunch of boxes to maybe three boxes left I had to pick one up.


Hopefully I'll pick up a couple more things. Probably head over to Erick Scarecrows party tonight. HMMM>>> night full of full!

No comments: