Thursday, April 19, 2007

Junglist!


About a year ago I was in the hospital and all I took with me was Fanton Mojah's cd that I had picked up about two days before that. Seriously it helped me deal with a lot of pain and gave me a focus when I thought I couldn't take the pain. I'm not a rasta by no means but I can respect someone's view and try to apply it to my own beliefs. His cd is 100% Culture. Culture is a type of reggae. As far as I can tell there's dancehall- which is the more popular one, where people like beenieman and bounty killa live.. at the dancehalls..lol. Then you have culture; this is a more spiritual vibe where they either talk about christianity or the rasta life style. This tends to be what American pot heads listen too..lol. As I got older I've come to love both.

As a youth I would make fun of culture music and say I don't like that old man music. In high school I used to run around with a Guyanese crew called Junglist. My best friend Marv was Guyanese (you couldn't tell) and his cousin 'Elton was down with them so we would hang out with them in high school (when we went..lol). This is where I REALLY started to listen to reggae at. They had older brothers that used to battle at sound clashes but the ones we knew were crazy as hell. Running around the school with machete's and guns. Starting fights with the Americans (black americans), Haitians & Dominicians. It was some of the most fun I've ever had in my life.

Dudes used to sell drugs at the top of the bleachers in the back of the school, at gym class I wouldn't get changed for class and just hang with them. The gym teacher wouldn't say shit cause they were selling weed and coke to the gym teachers.lol. If the american kids wanted to buy weed they had to come up the bleachers... I remember this one time the kid (that grew up across the street from me) wanted some weed and was trying to act tuff. They sent him on his way and told him no. He started talking shit so we stomped his ass all the way down the bleachers. I twisted the hell out of my ankle that day.

Or the time they said we could go to a sound clash with them because it was in brooklyn and they needed the extra bodies just in case there was a fight. Right before we jumped on the turnpike we stopped for gas. Everybody was smoking weed in the truck expect for me and my boys. A cop car pulled up across from us and got some gas. Of course everybody was shook as hell. But they didn't bother us and when we left out of there, we were laughing our asses off. As we get on the turnpike the dudes driving turned to me and my boys and asked us "ya know 'tis car stolen?" I almost pissed my pants when I saw the screwdriver in the dash..lol.

BIG UP! to all my Junglist breadren. Last I heard was Irvington Police was arresting any younth wearing tshirst that said Junglist on it because they were now catagorized as a gang. As far as the dudes I knew from that crew... I see Junior and Peppa around but the rest either are locked up, dead or they sent them back to Guyana.

No comments: