Sunday, April 15, 2007

Flea Markets....

Boy do I remember the days when all I wanted to do was go to the flea markets. Today there's not a flea market in site. You only have the outdoors ones that are open on Saturday & Sunday. And damnit do I miss it!

In the late 80's my folks would pack me and my brother in the lincoln and head to Watchong flea market. It was down Route 22 and a hole in the wall but it was my heaven. Flea Markets are every geeks heaven. It was a centeral meeting place for every weirdo, outcast, and geek around for miles. If it was that kid that just wanted to look for black market concert tapes of underground rock or punk groups. Better yet it was always the guys who wanted kung-fu flicks, comics, anime, dungeons & dragons, magic the gathering, skate boarders, model cars, sports cards, gundam collectables, import models and all slackers from different walks of life..lol.

But as time went on they started closing the flea markets down.. first watchang then US-1 flea market and lastly the downfall of union market.

Almost 30 years old now and I want it back. I think the reason all collectables are decreasing in value and lack of interest by the newer generation of kids is because they don't have this center of geekdom around anymore. My father started collecting comics and I joined him when I was in the 6th grade. I started to go to flea markets with him and I loved it. I also started collecting basketball cards. Later I started watching bootleg animes. I never was the gundam or import model type because as an american kid I was lazy. I didn't understand why it cost so much and didn't understand why it wasn't even put together.lol. Tried Magic the Gathering but not many people played it in the hood so that lasted two weeks. :OP.

As a community of geeks we need to start banning together and bring back the love of all these different genres of geekiness and put them back together.

WHO'S WITH ME?

No comments: